Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Those penguins

Pastorio often -- well I say often, it was probably no more than a few times a month -- which admittedly would be often if you were, say, having root-canal work, but which doesn't seem like much in the context we're now considering -- would send me an email -- he had a tendency to backchannel, which for those of you not familiar with Usenet (who let those people in?) means sending messages to people FROM the group but not IN the group, on any or every subject -- pointing out something he'd seen, or read, or otherwise come across -- such peregrinations are now more usually consigned to one's blog, but I think the blog came along just too late for Pastorio -- which is a terrible pity, as he'd have relished the opportunity of sounding off at great length with not a soul to gainsay his (at this point one is required to roll one's Rs, though I never heard him speak) prrronouncements (comments, if they're not turned off, can always be ignored) -- and I'd occasionally become irritated by this, because he was -- for someone who used the Net so much -- and isn't it amazing how many people visited Carol's blog of his last days to point out that they'd never known him other than virtually? I think he may be the first virtual death I've personally experienced -- remarkably naive about passing on lame jokes and stupid links, one of which I include below.

It made me laugh time and time again, and when I looked it up now, to post the link here, it made me laugh all over again.

So I'll never again see a penguin without thinking of Pastorio. Which admittedly is not much of a memorial, but look, it's not my fault. He sent it to me, do you see? He could have found a funny video of pigeons, or starlings maybe.

I can't be held responsible for his posterity. I have my own to think of.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Sasha. I am Bob's granddaughter. I want to thank you for this beginning collection. I am a cook & a baker and he was my mentor. I am so glad to see everyone else was so inspired by his passion. With any luck, I will not be without the advice I feared I was loosing. I will get to see his words daily.

Anonymous said...

Excellent.

- Carol. Yes, that Carol.

Sour Grapes said...

I'm delighted you're pleased, both of you. I'm waiting for a bunch of other people to pitch in with stuff. I'm pretty strict about the No Sad Stuff rule. Pastorio never made anyone sad that I know of, and I don't think he should start now.

Anonymous said...

I support that notion...grandpa would want everyone to be smiling and laughing. My theory is that he got to wherever he was sent and my great grandmother made him a feast...I am pretty sure he corrected atleast one recipe and asked about the seasonings. Great picture, I remember those glasses!

Sasha

Kos said...

"I think he may be the first virtual death I've personally experienced"

Ditto that for me too.

Paula said...

Same here. Very nice tribute, SG.